January 10 is the 10th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 355 days remaining (356 in leap years).
- 49 BC - Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon which signalled civil war.
- 1072 - Robert Guiscard conquers Palermo.
- 1776 - Thomas Paine publishes Common Sense.
- 1806 - Dutch in Cape Town surrender to the British.
- 1810 - Marriage of Napoleon and Josephine is annulled.
- 1861 - Florida secedes from the United States.
- 1863 - The first section of the London Underground Railway opens (Paddington to Farringdon Street).
- 1870 - John D. Rockefeller incorporates Standard Oil.
- 1901 - The first great Texas gusher, oil discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
- 1920 - League of Nations holds its first meeting and ratifies the Treaty of Versailles ending World War I.
- 1922 - Arthur Griffith is elected President of the Irish Free State.
- 1923 - Lithuania seizes and annexes Memel.
- 1927 - The film Metropolis by Fritz Lang premiers.
- 1929 - Tintin, a comic book character created by Hergé, makes his debut. He went on to be published in over 200 million comic books in 40 languages.
- 1941 - Lend-Lease is introduced into the U.S. Congress.
- 1946 - First General Assembly of the United Nations.
- 1957 - Harold Macmillan becomes the prime minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1969 - After 147 years, the last issue of the Saturday Evening Post is published.
- 1971 - Masterpiece Theatre debuts on PBS.
- 1984 - The United States and the Vatican establish full diplomatic relations.
- 1989 - Cuban troops begin withdrawing from Angola.
- 1990 - Time Warner is formed from the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications Inc.
- 1994 - Lorena Bobbitt goes on trial for severing the Censored page of her husband John (Manassas, Virginia).
- 2000 - America Online announces an agreement to buy Time Warner for $162 billion, the largest corporate merger in history.
- 1769 - Michel Ney, French marshall (d. 1815)
- 1843 - Frank James, American outlaw (d. 1915)
- 1849 - Francisco Ferrer Guardia, Spanish free-thinker (d. 1909)
- 1858 - Heinrich Zille, German illustrator and photographer (d. 1929)
- 1873 - George Orton, Canadian athlete (d. 1958)
- 1883 - Francis X. Bushman, American actor (d. 1966)
- 1883 - Aleksei Tolstoy , writer (d. 1945)
- 1887 - Robinson Jeffers, American poet (d. 1962)
- 1899 - Axel Eggelbrecht , journalist (d. 1991)
- 1904 - Ray Bolger, American actor, singer, dancer (d. 1987)
- 1917 - Hilde Krahl , actress (d. 1999)
- 1917 - Jerry Wexler, American record producer
- 1923 - Benson Skoff , clergyman
- 1921 - Rodger Ward, American auto racer, two-time Indianapolis 500 winner (d. 2004)
- 1923 - Ingeborg Drewitz , writer (d. 1986)
- 1925 - Max Roach, drummer, composer
- 1927 - Gisele MacKenzie, Canadian singer (d. 2003)
- 1927 - Johnnie Ray, American singer (d. 1990)
- 1927 - Otto Stich, Swiss politician
- 1930 - Roy Edward Disney, American film executive
- 1931 - Viktor Liebermann , violinist (d. 1999)
- 1935 - Sherrill Milnes, American baritone
- 1936 - Stephen Ambrose, American historian (d. 2002)
- 1936 - Robert Wilson, American physicist, radio astronomer
- 1938 - Donald Knuth, American mathematician, computer scientist
- 1938 - Willie McCovey, American Baseball Hall of Famer
- 1939 - Bill Toomey, American track and field athlete
- 1939 - Sal Mineo, American actor (d. 1976)
- 1939 - William Levy, Writer
- 1943 - Jim Croce, American singer (d. 1973)
- 1945 - Rod Stewart, English singer
- 1948 - Donald Fagen, American keyboardist
- 1948 - Teresa Graves, American actress, singer (d. 2002)
- 1949 - George Foreman, boxer
- 1949 - James Lapine, American stage director
- 1949 - Linda Lovelace, pornographic film actress (d. 2002)
- 1953 - Pat Benatar, Polish-American singer
- 1953 - Bobby Rahal, American automobile racer
- 1955 - Michael Schenker, German guitar player of UFO and solo career
- 1956 - Shawn Colvin, singer
- 1973 - Ryan Drummond, voice actor, comedian, radio host at seaworld
- 681 - Pope Agatho
- 1276 - Pope Gregory X
- 1778 - Carolus Linnaeus, Swedish botanist (b. 1707)
- 1862 - Samuel Colt, American inventor (b. 1814)
- 1917 - William F. Cody, American frontiersman (b. 1846)
- 1934 - Marinus van der Lubbe, Dutch communist, accused of Reichstag fire (b. 1909)
- 1941 - Joe Penner, comedian, actor
- 1951 - Sinclair Lewis, American writer (b. 1885)
- 1961 - Dashiell Hammett, American writer (b. 1894)
- 1970 - Pavel Belyayev, cosmonaut (b. 1925)
- 1971 - Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, French fashion designer (b. 1883)
- 1976 - Howlin' Wolf, American musician (b. 1910)
- 1980 - George Meany, American labor leader (b. 1894)
- 1981 - Katherine Alexander, American actress (b. 1898)
- 1981 - Richard Boone, American actor (b. 1917)
- 1981 - Fawn M. Brodie, American historian (b. 1915)
- 1987 - Sir David Robinson, British philanthropist and entrepreneur (b. 1904)
- 1997 - Sheldon Leonard , American producer, actor, director
- 2000 - Sam Jaffe, American producer (b. 1901)
- 2004 - Spalding Gray, American actor, screenwriter, and monologue artist (b. 1941)
Holidays and observances
January 9 - January 11 - December 10 - February 10 -- listing of all days
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
Last updated: 02-07-2005 08:33:47
Last updated: 03-18-2005 11:16:12