1775 1776 1777 - 1778 - 1779 1780 1781
1740s 1750s 1760s - 1770s - 1780s 1790s 1800s
17th century - 18th century - 19th century
List of state leaders in 1778
- "The term Thoroughbred was first used in the United States in an advertisement in a Kentucky gazette to describe a New Jersey stallion called Pilgarlick .
- January 18 - Third Pacific expedition of Capt. James Cook, with ships HMS Resolution and HMS Discovery, first view O'ahu then Kaua'i in the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the "Sandwich Islands."
- February 5 - South Carolina becomes the first state to ratify the Articles of Confederation
- February 6 - American Revolutionary War: In Paris the Treaty of Alliance and the Treaty of Amity and Commerce are signed by the United States and France signaling official recognition of the new republic.
- February 23 - American Revolutionary War: Baron von Steuben arrives at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania to help to train the Continental Army
- July 10 - American Revolutionary War: Louis XVI of France declares war on the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- July 27 - American Revolution: First Battle of Ushant - British and French fleets fight to a standoff.
- September - The Massachusetts Banishment Act, providing punishment for Loyalists, is passed.
- November 26 - In the Hawaiian Islands, Captain James Cook becomes the first European to discover Maui.
- France Introduced the first state-controlled brothel
- February 22 - Rembrandt Peale, artist
- April 10 - William Hazlitt - English essayist
- September 19 - Henry Peter Brougham, Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain
- November 1 - Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden
- December 17 - Sir Humphry Davy - English chemist
- Abd ar-Rahman, sultan of Morocco.
- January 10 - Carolus Linnaeus
- May 30 - François-Marie Arouet dit Voltaire, French philosopher
- June 28 - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, philosopher
- November 9 - Giovanni Battista Piranesi, artist
Last updated: 02-02-2005 23:11:39
Last updated: 02-28-2005 11:03:05