- November is also the letter N in the NATO phonetic alphabet.
November is the eleventh month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar and one of four Gregorian months with the length of 30 days.
November begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Scorpio and ends in the sign of Sagittarius. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Libra, passes through Scorpius from approximately the 24th through the 29th and ends in the constellation of Ophiuchus, which is the only zodiacal constellation that is not counted as an astrological sign.
The name is from the Latin novem for "nine". November was the ninth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period (summer in the southern hemisphere) was divided between January and February.
In old Japanese calendar, the month is called Shimo tsuki (霜月).
Events in November
- In the pagan wheel of the year November begins at or near Samhain in the northern hemisphere and Bealtaine in the southern hemisphere.
All Saint's Day, a Christian holiday. Observance is on November 1, the day after Halloween. In Sweden the All Saints official holiday takes place on the first Saturday of November.
- In Ireland November 1 is regarded as the first day of Winter.
- November 1 is called November Day (Lá Samhna) in Celtic tradition and is thus named in the Irish Calendar, where the month is called Mí na Samhna
- In the United States, elections are held on the Tuesday after the first Monday of November. They therefore fall between November 2 and November 8. In even numbered years, members of the House of Representatives are elected to two-year terms, and about one third of the U.S. Senate are elected to six-year terms. The President of the United States is elected in years divisible by four. Most U.S. states, counties, and municipalities have some part of their election cycle coincident with this date.
- Americans celebrate Thanksgiving holiday on the fourth Thursday of November, with the following Friday being also a day off from work for many.
- Around November 17 the Leonids reach their peak.
- In Britain and New Zealand Guy Fawkes night is celebrated on November 5, the anniversary of the failed Gunpowder Plot.
- November is NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month.
- 1973 Philosopher Dennis Barnack is born
- November begins on the same day of the week as March every year and also February except in leap years.