Oophorectomy is the surgical removal of the ovaries of a female animal. In the case of non-human animals, this is also called spaying. It is a form of sterilization.
The removal of the ovaries together with the Fallopian tubes is called salpingo-oophorectomy. Oophorectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy are not common forms of birth control in humans; more usual is tubal ligation, in which the Fallopian tubes are blocked but the ovaries remain intact.
In humans, oophorectomy is most usually performed together with a hysterectomy - the removal of the uterus. Its use in a hysterectomy when there are no other health problems is somewhat controversial.
In animals, spaying involves an invasive removal of the ovaries, but rarely has major complications; the superstition that it causes weight gain is not based on fact. Spaying is especially important for certain animals that require the ovum to be released at a certain interval (called estrus or "heat"), such as cats and dogs. If the cell is not released during these animal's heat, it can cause severe medical problems that can be averted by spaying or partnering the animal with a male.
Oophorectomy is sometimes referred to as castration, but that term is most often used to mean the removal of a male animal's testicles.
September 20 is the 263rd day of the year (264th in leap years). There are 102 days remaining.
400 BC - AD 1899
- 356 BC - Alexander the Great (d. 323 BC)
- AD 1842 - Sir James Dewar, chemist (d. 1923)
- 1853 - Chulalongkorn (Rama V), king of Thailand (d. 1910)
- 1861 - Herbert Putnam, Librarian of Congress (d. 1955)
- 1873 - Sidney Olcott, pioneer film director (d. 1949)
- 1878 - Upton Sinclair, writer, politician (d. 1968)
- 1889 - Charles Reidpath, American athlete
- 1890 - Jelly Roll Morton, composer (d. 1941)
- 1899 - Elliott Nugent , actor, director
- 1917 - Red Auerbach, National Basketball Association coach and executive
- 1918 - Peg Phillips , actress
- 1922 - William Kapell, pianist (d. 1953)
- 1924 - Gogi Grant (Audrey Brown), singer
- 1925 - James Galanos , fashion designer
- 1927 - Johnny Dankworth, musician, composer
- 1927 - Rachel Roberts, actress (d. 1980)
- 1928 - Doctor Joyce Brothers, psychologist, advice columnist
- 1928 - Donald A. Hall , author
- 1929 - Anne Meara, comic, actress
- 1931 - Peter Palmer , actor
- 1934 - Sophia Loren, actress
- 1938 - Pia Lindstrom , journalist
- 1947 - Chuck Panozzo , musician
- 1948 - George R. R. Martin, science fiction writer
- 1951 - Guy Lafleur, National Hockey League star
- 1954 - Peter White, jazz musician
- 1956 - Gary Cole, actor
- 1967 - Kristen Johnston , actress
- 1967 - Gunnar Nelson and Matthew Nelson , singers
- 1968 - Leah Pinsent, Canadian actress
- 1968 - Darrell Russell, NHRA drag racer (d. 2004)
- 1971 - Henrik Larsson, Swedish football star
- 1975 - Asia Argento, actress
- 1975 - Juan Pablo Montoya, Formula One racer
- 1976 - Michael Ballack, German football star
- 1978 - Jason Bay, Canadian baseball player
- 1978 - Sarit Hadad, Israeli singer
September 19 ˇ September 21 ˇ August 20 ˇ October 20 ˇ more historical anniversaries
Last updated: 02-07-2005 09:35:59