1187 1188 1189 - 1190 - 1191 1192 1193
1160s 1170s 1180s - 1190s - 1200s 1210s 1220s
11th century - 12th century - 13th century
- March 16 - Crusaders start to massacre the Jews of York, England.
- June 10 - Third Crusade: Frederick I Barbarossa drowned in the Saleph River while leading an army to Jerusalem.
- October 4 - Richard I of England threatens war against Tancred of Sicily, and captures Messina
- "On the Harmony of Religions and Philosophy" (ar. Kitab fasl al-maqal) first published.
- Coronation of Richard I of England (the Lion-Hearted)
- Anti-Jewish riots in England.
- In Myanmar, Anawrahta's lineage regains control with the assistance of Sri Lanka. Pagan has been in anarchy. The new regime reforms Burmese Buddhism on Sri Lankan Theravada models.
- Henry I becomes Duke of Brabant.
- Richard I of England and Philip II of France meet at Vézelay, beginning the Third Crusade.
- Stevan Nemanja founds the Studenica monastery in Serbia.
- the feudal era of japan begins
- Ranulf de Glanvill, chief justiciar of England
- Sibylla of Jerusalem, former Queen of Jerusalem
- June 10 - Frederick Barbarossa, Holy Roman Emperor, drowned in Cilicia
Heads of states
- England - Richard I King of England (reigned from 1189 to 1199)
- France - Philippe II, Auguste King of France (reigned from 1180 to 1223)
Last updated: 02-08-2005 12:16:12
Last updated: 02-22-2005 15:45:47