In calendars based on the Christian Era or Common Era, such as the Gregorian calendar, the 21st century is the current century, lasting from 2001-2100. The 21st century is the first century of the 3rd millennium (2001 - 3000).
Important developments, events, achievements
- Wars, battles and terrorism
- Science and technology
- 2002 Mars Odyssey arrives in orbit around Mars.
- 2003 Space Shuttle Columbia disaster February 1
- 2003 Dolly the sheep dies prematurely February 14
- 2003 Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) spreads around the globe.
- 2004 Mars rovers discover evidence of likely flowing water on Mars.
- 2004 Cassini-Huygens probe arrives at Saturn.
Influential people in politics as of 2004
(in alphabetical order)
- Mahmoud Abbas, Prime Minister of the Palestinian Authority
- Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, de facto government leader
- Kofi Annan, Secretary General of the United Nations
- Yasser Arafat, chairman of the Palestinian Authority
- JosÚ Maria Aznar, Spanish Prime Minister
- Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaeda leader
- Tony Blair, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Hans Blix, Chief United Nations Weapons Inspector
- George W. Bush, President of the United States of America
- Jacques Chirac, President of France
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II- Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and various other Commonwealth Realms.
- John Howard, Prime Minister of Australia
- Saddam Hussein, deposed President of Iraq, currently held by US forces
- Hamid Karzai, interim president of the Afghan Transitional Administration
- John Kerry, Democratic candidate for Presidency of the United States of America
- Colin Powell, United States Secretary of State
- Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, President of the Russian Federation
- Gerhard Schr÷der, German Bundeskanzler (chancellor)
- Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister of Israel
Influential people in technology as of 2003
- Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft Corporation
- Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux
- Steve Jobs, founder of Apple Computer
Influential people in science as of 2003
Influential people in mathematics as of 2003
Influential people in art as of 2003
- J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series
- Britney Spears, singer
- Christina Aguilera, singer
- Michael Jackson, singer
- Eminem, rapper
- Charlize Theron, actress
- Catherine Zeta-Jones, actress
- Tom Cruise, actor
- Brad Pitt, actor
- Peter Jackson, director
See also: Timeline of the future in forecasts
- Wednesday, June 6, 2012 - Transit of Venus to occur 2nd time this century
- 2061: next return of Comet Halley.
- Friday, November 10, 2084 - Transit of Earth as seen from Mars
Decades and years