The Online Encyclopedia and Dictionary






University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is a university located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The university, often referred to as UTC or simply "Chattanooga" (especially in reference to collegiate athletics), is one of three universities and two other affiliated institutions in the University of Tennessee System.

UTC was founded in 1886 as then-private Chattanooga University. In 1907, the university changed its name to the University of Chattanooga. In 1969, the university merged with Chattanooga City College to form the modern UTC campus as part of the University of Tennessee System.



Currently, UTC uses the semester system, with five optional "mini-terms" in the summer. The leadership of the campus rests upon the chancellor, who answers to the University President. The most recent Chancellor was Bill W. Stacy , who resigned in the summer of 2004 to become headmaster of the Baylor School. The interim Chancellor is Dr. Frederick Obear , who previously served as chancellor in the 1970s and 1980s. The search for a permanent chancellor is ongoing and a decision from the selection committee is expected by mid 2005.

About the Campus

UTC is best known for its Engineering, Nursing, History, Chemistry and Education departments. The Lupton Memorial Library, located at the center of the campus, houses 1.9 million items, including microfilm, microfiche, bound periodicals and over 600,000 circulating items. Prospective resident students can choose from five different dormitory complexes, each with different room configurations to choose from.

UTC is served by CARTA bus routes 4, 10, 14, 19, and 28. Route 14 only operates on weekdays during fall and spring terms, when the University is session. The route runs within and without the UTC campus on McCallie , Houston, Vine, Douglas, Fifth, and Palmetto Streets. A recent extension serves Third, O'Neal and Central Streets, as well as Baroness Erlanger Hospital, and a large parking lot at Engel Stadium . All students showing valid University identification cards (aka MocsCards) ride for free on all CARTA routes, year-round.

Student Residences

  • Vine Street Dorms. Constructed in the late 1930s, this dorm occupied part of North Stadium Hall, which actually formed the grandstands for the old Chamberlain Field football stadium. Age and structural integrity concerns prompted the closure of the facility in the early 2000s. The entire building was demolished in March, 2005. The current UTC football team plays and Max Finley Stadium , located in downtown Chattanooga.
  • Pfeiffer-Stagmaier Hall. This L-Shaped building was constructed in two phases. The first part (Pfeiffer Hall) was completed in 1947 and named for Annie Merner Pfeiffer , a generous benefactor. In 1968, a wing was added on to Pfeiffer Hall and was known as Stagmaier Hall, which was named for Linda Stagmaier, the wife of a University official. Collectively the two attatched buildings were officially called "Pfeiffer-Stagmaier Hall". To students, however, the complex was known as "P-Stag" or "the Stag." In this complex, students were housed by pairs in rooms with a bedroom and a study room. In Stagmaier Hall, two rooms shared a bathroom, while the Pfeiffer section had two students to a room with community bath. Both sections featured a full community kitchen on each floor. The complex was co-ed by floor, with males on the ground and first floors, and females on the second and third floors. In the early 2000s concerns began to mount about the age and suitability of the dormityory complex. Increasing dissatisfaction over maintenance concerns earned the complex several dubious nicknames: "The Ghetto," "The Dump," and "The Dungeon." Furthermore, the University administration was unable to bring the buildings up to new state safety standards, neither was UTC able to satisfy new requirements called for by the Americans with Disabilities Act. As of June, 2004, Pfeiffer Hall is home to temporary offices for the Department of Housing.
  • Boling Apartments. Named for Dr. Edward J. Boiling , former UT System president and completed in 1977. Each apartment houses two to four students in private bedrooms with a shared bathroom, kitchen and living room. The complex was called Village Apartments until the early 1990s.
  • Lockmiller Dormitories. A series of unusually shaped apartment buildings completed in 1982, this dormitory was named for Dr. David A. Lockmiller , former president of the University of Chattanooga. The complex is co-ed by section, and most units house four students in two bedrooms, with a living room, bathroom, and kitchen. Dr. Lockmiller was an unusual choice for University President, as he was a Roman Catholic and the University was operated under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal church.
  • New Village Apartments
  • UTC Place

Academic Buildings

  • University Hall - "Old Main." Demolished in 1917
  • Hooper-Race Hall - Records, Admissions and Financial Aid.
  • Grote Hall (pronounced "GRO-tee")
  • Cadek Hall (pronounced "shaddek")
  • Guerry Hall - Houses the University Honors Department and Reading Rooms. The lower level is occupied by a cafeteria.
  • Founder's Hall - Chancellor's offices
  • Fletcher Hall
  • Brock Hall
  • Holt Hall
  • MacKenzie Arena
  • McClellan Gym and Natatorium
  • Metropolitain Hall or simply "Metro" - Nursing and Economics Departments. Formerly Chattanooga Metropolitain Hospital
  • President's House - Development (fundraising) Departnebt
  • Patten House
  • Dorothy Patten Fine Arts Center - Houses the Dorothy Hackett Ward theatre, the Roland W. Hayes Concert Hall, and the George Ayers Cress Art Gallery.
  • Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Buidling
  • Old Math Building - Demolished in the late 1990s.
  • Bretske Hall - Formerly the university cafeteria, now home to the Geology Department.
  • Lupton Memorial Library
  • Challenger Center [1] - The widow of Dick Scobee, a Challenger astronaut, resides near Chattanooga. She donated the buidling in her husband's memory.
  • Administration Building - Houses the mailroom, parking services, motor pool and University Police Department .
  • University Center - The hub of social life on campus. There are several eateries and a large cafeteria

Other Locations On Campus

  • Cardiac Hill
  • The Greenway (expected completion, 2005)

Greek Life

Sororities: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Chi Omega, Delta Sigma Theta, Kappa Delta , Kappa Delta , Sigma Alpha Iota , Sigma Gamma Rho, Sigma Kappa , Zeta Phi Beta , Omega Phi Alpha (service organization for women).

Fraternities: Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi , Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma , Phi Delta Theta, Phi Mu Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Distinguished Alumni and Faculty


UTC's colors are blue and gold and their nickname is the Mocs. Chattanooga athletics teams compete in NCAA Division I (I-AA for football) in the Southern Conference.

University Mascot

Chattanooga, on its official athletics site, makes it clear that its nickname of Mocs does not mean moccasin or mockingbird. The school's nickname was Moccasins until 1996, which was represented by Chief Moccanooga , an exaggerated Cherokee tribesman. The nickname was taken from Moccasin Bend, a sharp bend in the Tennessee River west of the city. During the 1960s and 1970s, a moccasin (the footwear, not the snake) was actually used as the school's logo.
In 1996, due in large part to concerns over ethnic sensitivity, the Moccasins name was dropped, and the Mocs nickname adopted. The main athletics logo features the school's mascot, "Scrappy" (an anthropomorphized mockingbird), riding a train (a reference to Chattanooga's history as a major railroad hub, and to the song "Chattanooga Choo Choo"). The mascot takes its name from former football coach A.C. "Scrappy" Moore.

External links

Last updated: 05-21-2005 05:34:50