Tactics is the collective name for methods of winning a small-scale conflict, performing an optimization, etc. This applies specifically to warfare, but also to economics, trade, games and a host of other fields such as negotiation.
Tactics and Strategy are often confused.
- Tactics are the actual means used to gain a goal.
- Strategy is the overall plan.
An example of the difference:
- The overall goal is to enhance your group's power by winning sympathy from people for your cause.
- The strategy is to engage in many conflicts and lose.
- The tactics (told to the combatants) are to do very specific things in a specific place.
Last updated: 05-03-2005 17:50:55