The word receiver has a number of different meanings:
- In communications and information processing, a receiver is the recipient (observer) of a message (information), which is sent from a source (object). Receivers decode messages.
- A receiver (radio) is an electronic device that receives a radio signal from a transmitter and converts it to useful information in the form of sound, pictures, computer data, navigational position information, etc. An external receiving antenna may be required.
- A receiver (consumer electronics) is a combination of a radio broadcast tuner and an amplifier for the speakers, as well as selection for sources such as a CD or tape, and adjustments for audio, such as a graphic equalizer or basic tone controls.
- On a telephone, the "receiver" is the handset , particularly the earpiece.
- A receiver (fire arms) is the part of the firearm that houses the operating parts of the gun.
- Receiver (in football): a wide receiver or tight end
Last updated: 02-05-2005 00:42:48
Last updated: 02-20-2005 19:50:54