Palazzo Farnese, Rome
Palazzo Farnese, Rome (housing the French Embassy), is 'the most imposing Italian palace of the sixteenth century' (Sir Banister Fletcher) (1). This widely admired High Renaissance private palace was imitated, almost without a break, into the early 20th century. It was built by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger (1486-1546), with an added third storey and revised courtyard by Michelangelo.
Dominating a small city square, which makes it more prominent, the memorable features of its facade are the alternating pediments that cap the windows of the main floor (piano nobile), the central rusticated portal and Michelangelo's projecting cornice.
The palace was commissioned by Alessandro Farnese, who had been made Cardinal in 1493 when he turned 25 (thanks to his sister, who was Pope Alexander VI Borgia's official mistress) and was living a princely lifestyle. When he was made pope, as Paul III, he employed Michelangelo to enlarge it, as an emblematic 'power house' suitable to the Farnese family. Concurrently, he engaged Michelangelo to fresco the Sistine Chapel.
The palazzo was begun by San Gallo in 1517, redesigned in 1534 and 1541, modified under Michelangelo from 1546 onwards and completed by Giacomo della Porta in 1589. Several main rooms were frescoed with elaborate allegorical programs, by Annibale Caracci (1560-1609) and other artists, 1597-1608.
In Puccini's opera Tosca, (1900), set in Napoleonic Rome, the heroine's confrontation with the malevolent chief-of-police, Scarpia, takes place in Palazzo Farnese. The Palazzo was inherited from the Farnese by the Bourbon kings of Naples, from whom the French government purchased it in 1874. Though the government of Mussolini ransomed it in 1936, the French Embassy remains, under a 99-year lease.
The Palazzo Farnese houses the great scholarly library amassed by the 'Ecole Française de Rome ,' concentrating especially on the archeology of Italy and medieval Papal history.