Free game software
List of free game software
All these titles are free software that are under a Free Software license such as the GNU General Public License or other similar licenses. Because the source code is available and modifications can be freely (re)distributed, most of these titles will run on many platforms.
For freely available games without a public license, see List of freeware games.
- Arianne is an open source MMORPG in development and a framework to develop new online games.
- Armagetron is a multiplayer, 3D Tron lightcycle racing game.
- Avanor is an open source roguelike game.
- - A platform game where Bob the Blob must rescue the Blob MIAs. Many stages, intricate gameplay. Not yet complete, but very playable. http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/blobWars.php
- Boson is an OpenGL real-time strategy game, with the feeling of Command and Conquer or StarCraft. It is designed to run on Unix (Linux) computers, and is built on top of the KDE, Qt and kdegames libraries. 
- BZFlag is a free multiplayer multiplatform 3D tank battle game.
- Chromium B.S.U. is a fast paced, arcade-style, top-scrolling space shooter at http://www.reptilelabour.com/software/chromium/
- ClanBomber is a free DynaBlaster clone at http://clanbomber.sourceforge.net/
- Crack Attack! , a free OpenGL game based on Tetris attack at http://aluminumangel.org/attack/
- Crossfire is an open source MMORPG
- Cube is an open source first person shooter at http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/
- Cuyo is a free Puyo Puyo clone at http://www.karimmi.de/cuyo/ (german)
- Daimonin is an Isometric MMORPG based on Crossfire in its first Beta
- Devet is a multiplatform strategy/puzzle game at http://devet.tuzsuzov.com/
- Enigma, an Oxyd clone with an unusual premise.
- Freeciv is a clone of the game Civilization
- Frozen Bubble, can be downloaded at http://www.frozen-bubble.org
- Several games are included in KDE, for instance
- Globulation 2 is an innovative Real-Time Strategy [RTS], which minimizes micro-management by automatically assigning tasks to the units.
- Iter Vehemens ad Necem a graphical roguelike using SDL
- Liquid War is a multiplayer wargame available at http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/.
- NetHack is a popular free RPG available at http://www.nethack.org.
- Openglad is a port of the DOS Gauntlet-style game Gladiator at http://snowstorm.sf.net.
- OpenTTD is an open source implementation of the 1990s classic Transport Tycoon. Home at http://www.openttd.com/
- Pingus, a Lemmings clone with animated penguins
- - A two-dimensional, non-linear space shooter with an intricate plot. http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/starfighter.php
- Raptor is a space shoot-em-up game at http://raptorv2.sf.net
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, a first person multiplayer shooter set in World War II at http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/
- Shadowed Horizons, An adventure / roleplaying game written in perl available for dowload at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=99903&package_id=124242
- Squarez is a freeware puzzle game, done with GameMaker.
- Stepmania simulates dance games, mainly Dance Dance Revolution
- Tux Racer, a 3D OpenGL racing game starring the Linux mascot
- * The Ur-Quan Masters is an open-source free port of Star_Control_II based on the source code and media files of the 3DO version of the game - http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
- Vega Strike is a 3D space shooter/strategy game. http://www.vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
- XEvil , a 2D side scroller with an excessive amount of violence. http://www.xevil.com/