The most important tributaries are:
Border between East and West
The 10th century Valamo Monastery was founded on the island of Valaam (Finnish: Valamo), the largest in Lake Ladoga, desolated 1611–1715, magnificently restored in the 18th century, and finally evacuated to Finland during the Winter War in 1940. In 1989 the monastic activities were started again.
During the siege of Leningrad, 1941–1944, lake Ladoga provided the only access to the besieged city. Supplies were transported into Leningrad with trucks on winter roads over the ice, the "Road of Life", and by boat in the summer.