- This page is about Greenwich in England. For other uses see Greenwich (disambiguation)
|Ceremonial County:||Greater London|
Greenwich (pronounced "Grennitch" or "Grinnitch") is a town, now part of the southeastern suburbs of London in the London postal district SE10, on the south bank of the river Thames in the London Borough of Greenwich.
Sites of interest
The Royal Greenwich Observatory is located in Greenwich and the Prime Meridian passes through the building. Greenwich Mean Time was at one time based on the time observations made at the Royal Greenwich Observatory, before being superseded by Coordinated Universal Time. While Greenwich no longer hosts a working astronomical observatory, a ball still drops daily to mark the exact moment of noon, and there is a good museum of astronomical and navigational tools.
The observatory is situated in Greenwich Park, which used to be the grounds of the Royal Palace of Placentia. At the bottom of the park is the National Maritime Museum which also includes the Queen's House, designed by Inigo Jones. It is free to visit all these buildings. Greenwich also features the world's only museum dedicated to fans, the Fan Museum , in a Georgian townhouse at 10-12 Croom's Hill (fee payable).
The Cutty Sark (a clipper ship) is moored in a dry dock by the river, as is the "Gipsy Moth IV", the small sailing boat used by Sir Francis Chichester for his single-handed, 226-day circumnavigation of the globe during 1966-67.
By the Cutty Sark, there is a pedestrian tunnel, the Greenwich foot tunnel, to the Isle of Dogs. This comes out in Island Gardens , from where the famous view of Greenwich Hospital painted by Canaletto can be seen.
The University of Greenwich and the Trinity College of Music are now based in the Greenwich Hospital (formerly the Royal Naval College) buildings between Greenwich Park and the river. These buildings were designed by Sir Christopher Wren and include the Painted Hall , painted by James Thornhill and St Paul's Chapel . These are also open to the public for free.
The church dominating the western side of the town centre is St Alfege's Church, designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor in 1714, and marks the place where Archbishop of Canterbury Alfege (also spelt 'Alphege') was murdered in 1012.
The town centre features Greenwich Market, a covered market popular with tourists at the weekends.
In recognition of the suburb's astronomical links, Asteroid 2830 has been named 'Greenwich'.
(in alphabetical order)
- Astronomer Royal Sir George Airy lived in the White House, Croom's Hill
- Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, statesman and man of letters, lived in the Ranger's House, Chesterfield Walk, SE10.
- Dr Samuel Johnson, compiler of the first English dictionary, lived in Greenwich Church Street when he first came to London in 1736
- comedian Dan Leno rented accommodation at the Spreadeagle Tavern, Stockwell Street in 1902
- Poet Cecil Day-Lewis lived at 6 Croom's Hill
- artist Sir James Thornhill was said to have lived in Park Hall on Croom's Hill (originally designed for architect John James who never actually occupied the house).
- Architect Sir John Vanbrugh lived at 121 Maze Hill in a house of his own design overlooking Greenwich Park
- Benjamin Waugh, founder of the UK charity the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children lived in Croom's Hill.
- General James Wolfe lived in McCartney House in Croom's Hill, and was buried in St Alfege's Church
Nearby tube stations:
- North Greenwich tube station can be reached by 188 bus from the town centre.
Nearby DLR stations:
Nearby railway stations: