Dur-Sharrukin (House of Sargon, present day Khorsabad),was the Assyrian captial in the time of Sargon. In 713 Sargon ordered the construction of a new palace and town 20 km north of Niniveh at the foot of the Gebel Musri . Land was bought, and the debts of construction workers were nullified in order to attract a sufficient labour force. The land in the environs of the town was taken under cultivation, and olive groves were planted to increase Assyria's deficient oil-production.
The town was of rectangular layout and measured 1760 * 1635 m. The length of the walls was 16280 Assyrian units, which corresponded to the numerical value of Sargon's name. The town was partly settled by prisoners of war and deportees under the control of Assyrian officials who had to assure they were paying sufficient respect to the Gods and the king. The court moved to Dur-Sharrukin in 706, although it was not completely finished yet.
The town was first excavated by the French consul at Mosul, Paul-Emile Botta in 1843. Botta believed Khorsabad to be the site of biblical Niniveh.