County Armagh (Contae Ard Mhacha in Irish) is one of the six counties that form Northern Ireland (United Kingdom). It belongs to the province of Ulster. County Armagh is known by some as the Orchard of Ireland because the land is so fertile. Its main town is Armagh.
The county borders Lough Neagh to the north, County Down (Northern Ireland) to the east, County Louth (Republic of Ireland) to the south and County Tyrone (NI) and County Monaghan (ROI) to the west.
The southern part of Armagh (South Armagh) is the most militarized region in Western Europe due to a history of armed struggle along the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The region has been a stronghold of support for the IRA, earning it the nickname 'Bandit Country.' South Armagh is over 90% Nationalist, with most of the population being opposed to any British presence, especially that of a military nature.
The river Blackwater runs along the border with County Tyrone. The river Bann exits Lough Neagh in the north, flowing though the north-east of the county.
Mountains in Armagh include Slieve Guillion , Carrigatuke and Camlough Mountain .
There are also a number of islands in the county's section of Lough Neagh: Coney Island , Coney Island Flat , Croaghan Flat , Derrywarragh Island , Padian , Phil Roe's Flat and The Shallow Flat .
List of cities, towns and settlements in Armagh
- Acton , Allistragh , Ardress , Armagh
- Ballsmill , Ballyleny , Bannfoot , Belleek , Bessbrook, Blackwaterstown
- Camlough , Carnagh , Charlemont , Cladymilltown , Clare , Craigavon, Creggan , Crossmaglen, Cullaville
- Darkley , Derryadd , Derrynoose , Derrytrasna
- Keady , Killylea , Kilmore
- Laurelvale , Loughall , Lurgan
- Maghery , Markethill , Meigh , Middletown , Milford , Milltown , Mountnorris , Mullaghbane
Newry (partly in County Down), Newtownhamilton
Portadown, Poyntz Pass
- Scotch Street , Silver Bridge
Tandragee, Tassagh , Tynan
Last updated: 05-13-2005 07:56:04