A celebration is a kind of party on the occasion of either something joyous that is happening or has just happened:
- a birth, etc., see below
- passing an examination
- a success in sport, business, etc.
- having got a better or own home
- having got a (better) job
- being released from hospital, prison, kidnapping
or commemorating something joyous that happened in the past, e.g. a whole or round number of years ago, and for which the consequences still continue, e.g.:
birthday if the person is still alive
wedding if the partners are still together
- a country became independent or liberated, which is still the case
The celebration may also be on the occasion of a special day in general, e.g. New Year.
See also gift.
Last updated: 05-25-2005 05:16:22