Alfred North Whitehead
Alfred North Whitehead (February 15, 1861 - December 30, 1947) was a British philosopher and mathematician who worked in logic, mathematics, philosophy of science and metaphysics. His best known work in mathematics is the Principia Mathematica which he wrote with Bertrand Russell.
In philosophy, Whitehead is perhaps most well known for developing process philosophy, which was then developed into process theology by many liberal theologian/philosophers, such as Charles Hartshorne. Process theology has since been accepted as a valid way of understanding God by some liberal Christian and Jewish scholars and laypeople.
His political views were, roughly, libertarianism without the label. He wrote: "Now the intercourse between individuals and between social groups takes one of two forms, force or persuasion. Commerce is the great example of intercourse by way of persuasion. War, slavery, and governmental compulsion exemplify the reign of force."
- Alfred North Whitehead, Adventures of Ideas (33 Edition), Free Press, 1985, trade paperback, ISBN 0029351707
- Alfred North Whitehead, Introduction To Mathematics (48 Edition), Oxford University Press, 1990, trade paperback, 191 pages, ISBN 0195002113
- Alfred North Whitehead, Lucien Price, Caldwell Titcomb, Sir Ross David, Dialogues of Alfred North Whitehead (A Nonpareil Book), David R. Godine , 2001, trade paperback, 400 pages, ISBN 1567921299
- Alfred North Whitehead, Function of Reason (58 Edition), Beacon Press , 1971, trade paperback, ISBN 0807015733
- Alfred North Whitehead, Modes of Thought, Simon & Schuster, 1985, trade paperback, 179 pages, ISBN 002935210X
- Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell, Principia Mathematica to 56, Cambridge University Press , 2002, trade paperback, ISBN 0521626064
- Alfred North Whitehead, Alfred North Griffin, David Ray and Donald W. Sherburne, Process and Reality: An Essay in Cosmology, Free Press, 1979, trade paperback, ISBN 0029345707
- Alfred North Whitehead and Judith A. Jones, Religion in the Making, Fordham University Press , 1996, hardcover, ISBN 0823216454; trade paperback, ISBN 0823216462
- Alfred North Whitehead and Talcott Parsons, Science and the Modern World, Simon & Schuster, 1997, trade paperback, 212 pages, ISBN 0684836394
- Alfred North Whitehead, Symbolism, Its Meaning and Effect: Barbour-Page Lectures, University of Virginia, 1927, Fordham University Press , 1985, trade paperback, 88 pages, ISBN 082321138x
- Alfred North Whitehead, The Aims of Education and Other Essays, Free Press, 1985, trade paperback, ISBN 0029351804
- Search on [[ABE ] for earlier writings]