- July 10 - Roman Civil War: Battle of Dyrrhachium, Julius Caesar barely avoids a catastrophic defeat to Pompey in Macedonia.
- August 9 - Roman Civil War: Battle of Pharsalus - Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.
- Julius Caesar is named consul for a period of five years
- Roman temple to Bellona on the Capitolinus outside Rome is burnt to the ground.
- December - Battle in Alexandria, Egypt between the forces of the Roman general Julius Caesar and his ally Cleopatra VII of Egypt and those of rival King Ptolemy XIII of Egypt and Queen Arsinoe IV. The later two are defeated and flee the city, but during the battle part of the Library of Alexandria catches fire and is burned down.
- September 29 - Pompey, Roman politician (assassinated).
- Titus Annius Milo, Roman politician (died in exile)
Last updated: 11-06-2004 02:05:44