391 392 393 394 - 395 - 396 397 398 399
360s 370s 380s - 390s - 400s 410s 420s
3rd century - 4th century - 5th century
- After the death of emperor Theodosius I, the Roman Empire is divided in an eastern and a western half. The eastern half is centered in Byzantium under Arcadius, son of Theodosius I, and the western half in Rome under Flavius Augustus Honorius his brother.
- Alaric the Visigoth, general of the foederati, renounces Roman fealty and is declared King, waging war against both parts of the Roman Empire. End of a 16 year period of peace between Romans and Visigoths.
- Possible date that Ambrosius Theodosius Macrobius published his Saturnalia
- January 17: Theodosius I, Roman Emperor
- Ausonius, poet and rhetorician
- Conan Meriadoc , duke of Brittany
Last updated: 11-06-2004 01:58:12