Oophorectomy is the surgical removal of the ovaries of a female animal. In the case of non-human animals, this is also called spaying. It is a form of sterilization.
The removal of the ovaries together with the Fallopian tubes is called salpingo-oophorectomy. Oophorectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy are not common forms of birth control in humans; more usual is tubal ligation, in which the Fallopian tubes are blocked but the ovaries remain intact.
In humans, oophorectomy is most usually performed together with a hysterectomy - the removal of the uterus. Its use in a hysterectomy when there are no other health problems is somewhat controversial.
In animals, spaying involves an invasive removal of the ovaries, but rarely has major complications; the superstition that it causes weight gain is not based on fact. Spaying is especially important for certain animals that require the ovum to be released at a certain interval (called estrus or "heat"), such as cats and dogs. If the cell is not released during these animal's heat, it can cause severe medical problems that can be averted by spaying or partnering the animal with a male.
Oophorectomy is sometimes referred to as castration, but that term is most often used to mean the removal of a male animal's testicles.
This article is about the decade starting at the beginning of 2000 and ending at the end of 2009. For the century or millennium starting in 2001, see the links below.
Millennia: 2nd millennium - 3rd millennium - 4th millennium
Centuries: 20th century - 21st century - 22nd century
Decades: 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s - 2000s - 2010s 2020s 2030s 2040s 2050s
Years: 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
The decade as a whole
- In keeping with naming decades (cf. 1990s "the Nineties", 1980s "the Eighties", etc.), the decade of the 2000s lacks an accepted name. A widely accepted term may not come about until the decade has ended. However no such term exists for the decades of the 1900s and 1910s. A few suggestions for the 2000s decade are:
- "the 0-0s", usually pronounced as "the oh-ohs". This pronunciation sounds like "uh oh", an expression of dismay; this similarity is no doubt intentional.
- "the 2Ks", a term that is rooted in the slang of the times. K is shorthand for the Greek prefix kilo meaning 1000; hence, 2K means 2000. In popular culture, the years of the decade are already being named according to this slang. For example, the year 2003 is referred to as 2K3. The "2K" term probably has its popular origins in the heavily-hyped Y2K bug that began the decade.
- "the Aughts" (or "Oughts"), keeping with the practice of the twentieth century.
- "the Nillies", derived from the term "nil", meaning nothing or zero.
- "the Noughties", referring to the nought, or zero, as the decade indicator; the word-play on "naughty" is intentional.
- "the Twenty Hundreds", though this could be confused with a name for the century.
- "the zeroes",
- "the Dark Ages v2.0", in reference to the ascension of religious fanaticism in political discourse.
- The United Nations General Assembly declared the (mostly overlapping) decade of 2001-2010 as the "International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World".
Events and trends
- Major controversy over U.S. presidential election, 2000.
- September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attack on New York's World Trade Center and Washington's Pentagon killing over 3000 people.
- 2001 U.S. invasion of Afghanistan to depose the Taliban regime in response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- December 2001 – July 18, 2003: The Convention on the Future of Europe proposing first European constitution (i.e., of the EU).
- East Timor gains official independence from Indonesia on May 20, 2002.
- International Criminal Court exists as of 1 July 2002, used for judging war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.
- November 2002: SARS virus outbreak, most notably in Hong Kong and Toronto.
- 2003 invasion of Iraq as a step in the American war on terrorism.
- Darfur conflict in Sudan.
- Censored page becomes a controversial issue in 2004. In the United States, the Supreme Court of Massachusetts declares that same-sex couples must be allowed to marry in that state, and President George W. Bush pushes for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.
- November 2004: George W. Bush wins re-election to the presidency of the United States. The Republican Party increases its majorities in both houses of U.S. Congress.
- Reality television becomes a well-established sector of the television programming industry.
- A major earthquake and ensuing tsunami causes devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, The Maldives and many other areas around the rim of the Indian Ocean. The death toll is currently estimated at around 155,000. Officials say the true toll may never be known, due to rapid burials.
State leaders by year: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 ...
Arts and entertainment
- ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (Worlds Apart)
- 1208 (Feedback is Payback , Turn of the Screw)
- 3 Doors Down (Away from the Sun , Away from the Sun , Another 700 Miles , 17 Days)
- 311 (From Chaos, Evolver, Greatest Hits '93-'03)
- A Perfect Circle (Mer De Noms, 13th Step , Emotive )
- Above the Law (Forever Rich Thungs )
- AC/DC (Stiff Upper Lip)
- The Alkaline Trio (Good Mourning)
- Anthrax (We've Come For You All)
- Apollo Sunshine (Katonah)
- The Ataris (End is Forever , So Long, Astoria)
- Audioslave (Audioslave)
- The Eagles of Death Metal (Peace, Love, Death Metal)
- Elastica (The Menace )
- Eminem (The Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show, Encore)
- Enrique Iglesias (Escape)
- Erasure (Nightbird)
- Evanescence (Fallen)
- Face to Face (Reactionary )
- Finch (250mL )
- Flaw (Endangered Spieces )
- Franz Ferdinand (Franz Ferdinand)
- Green Day (Warning:, International Superhits!, Shenanigans, American Idiot)
- Gretchen Wilson (Redneck Woman )
- Guns n' Roses (Chinese Democracy)
- HIM (Love Metal, Razorblade Romance)
- The Hives (Veni Vidi Vicious, Tyrannosaurus Hives)
- Home Grown (Kings of Pop )
- Hoobastank (The Reason)
- Billy Idol (World Comin' Down )
- |Incubus (Morning View, A Crow Left of the Murder)
- J. Lo (This Is Me... Then )
- Ja Rule (Pain Is Love )
- The Jerky Boys (Stop Staring at Me! , The Jerky Tapes )
- Judas Priest (Demolition , Angel of Retribution)
- Justincase (Justincase )
- The Killers (Hot Fuss)
- Kenny Chesney (When the Sun Goes Down )
- KoRn (Untouchables) (Take A Look In The Mirror)
- Kylie Minogue (Light Years, Fever, Body Language)
- Lagwagon (Blaze )
- Avril Lavigne (Let Go, Under My Skin)
- Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, Meteora)
- Lostprohpets (The Fake Sound of Progress, Start Something)
- John Mayer (Inside Wants Out , Room for Squares, Heavier Things)
- Mest (Wasting Time, Destination Unknown, Mest)
- Metallica (St. Anger)
- Morrissey (You Are the Quarry)
- Mudvayne (L.D. 50, The End of All Things to Come , Lost and Found)
- The Scorpions (Unbreakble)
- Shakira (Laundry Service)
- Simple Plan (No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls, Still Not Getting Any...)
- The Smashing Pumpkins (, )
- Smile Empty Soul (Smile Empty Soul )
- Snow Patrol (Final Straw)
- Social Code (A Year at the Movies )
- Social Distortion (Social Distortion, Censored page)
- Staind (Dysfunction, Break the Cycle, 14 Shades of Grey)
- Story of the Year (Page Avenue)
- The Strokes (Is This It?, Room on Fire)
- Sum 41 (Half Hour of Power, All Killer No Filler, Does This Look Infected?, Chuck)
- Switchfoot (The Beautiful Letdown )
- System of a Down (Toxicity, Steal This Album!, Hypnotize, Mesmerize)
Last updated: 02-03-2005 11:39:09