Types of documentation
Documentation is an important part of software engineering that is often overlooked. Types of documentation include:
- Architecture - Architectural overview of software; including relations to an environment, construction principles to be used in design and technical documentation, etc.
- Design - The design of software components.
- Technical - Documentation of code, algorithms, interfaces, APIs.
- End User - Manuals for the end-user.
- Operator - Manuals for the systems administrator.
- Application operator - Manuals for the "superuser" of the software.
- Help desk - Manuals for first and second line support.
Tools for architectural, design and technical documentation
Tools for API documentation
- DoxyGen - a documentation system for C++, C, Java, Objective-C, IDL (Corba and Microsoft flavors) and to some extent PHP, C# and D.
- Perl POD - Plain Old Documentation is commonly used for Perl Documentation, but can be used in general. See also Scheme POD for a scheme variant of Perl POD.
Ways of thinking about software engineering and documentation
Last updated: 10-24-2004 05:10:45