Sign can denote any of the following:
- Within a writing system, a sign is a basic unit. Similar terms which are more specific are character, letter or grapheme.
- Signs are the basic units of semiotics, which is the systematic study of signs.
- In linguistics, Ferdinand de Saussure described a sign as a combination of a concept and a sound-image.
- In medicine, a sign is objective evidence of the presence of a disease or disorder, as opposed to a symptom, which is subjective.
- In computing, the digits where one bit among them tells the number is either negative or non-negative are called signed, otherwise unsigned.
- In mathematics, the sign of a number refers to whether it is negative or positive.
- On (the side of) roads there are traffic signs to instruct drivers. In most parts of the world these include stop signs, speed limit signs, cross walk signs, and others.
- In Astrology sign is often used to mean the Sun sign.
- In communication sign or signing refers to communicating via hand gestures, such as sign language.
- National symbol
- Interpretation of dreams
- Religious symbolism
- map-territory relation
- List of symbols
Last updated: 10-29-2004 00:43:08