(Redirected from Shetland
- See Shetland (disambiguation) for other meanings.
The Shetland Islands (sometimes historically spelled Zetland, formerly Hjaltland) are one of 32 unitary council regions in Scotland and a Lieutenancy Area. It is a Scottish island group between the Orkney Islands and the Faroe Islands, north of mainland Scotland, with a total area of approximately 1466km2. The administrative centre and only burgh is Lerwick.
The Shetland Islands were originally a Norwegian colony, and were pawned to the crown of Scotland on February 20, 1472. Many people on the islands do not feel Scottish, feeling closer to their Scandinavian roots. During World War II, boats from the Shetland Islands provided a relief service to occupied Norway, known as the "Shetland bus".
The main island of the group is known as Mainland. Other islands include:
Balta, Bigga, Bressay, Brother Isle , Burra
- East Linga
Fetlar, Fish Holm , Foula
- Gloup Holm , Gruney
- Haaf Gruney , Hascosay, Hildasay, Huney
- Lady's Holm , Lamba , Linga near Muckle Roe , Linga near Shetland Mainland , Linga near Yell , Little Roe , Lunna Holm
- Moul of Eswick , Mousa, Muckle Flugga, Muckle Ossa , Muckle Roe
- North Havra , Noss
- Orfasay , Out Stack, Oxna
Papa, Papa Little, Papa Stour
- Sound Gruney , South Havra, South Isle of Gletness
Unst, Urie Lingey , Uyea, Uynarey
- West Linga , Whalsay
Fair Isle lies approximately halfway between Shetland and Orkney, but it is administered as part of Shetland and is often counted as part of the island group. The Outer Skerries lie east of the main group.
- Clickimin broch
Jarlshof archaeological site
- Mousa broch
- Old Scatness archaeological site
- Scalloway Castle
- St Ninian's Isle
Sullom Voe oil terminal
- Sumburgh Head
- Wind Dog Cafe (Yell)
Shetland Islands on film
- "Edge Of The World " (1937) dramatizes the evacuation of the Islands and the ensuing tragedy.
- "Return To The Edge Of The World " (1978). Documentary captures a reunion of cast and crew of 1937's "Edge Of The World," 40 years after the fact, as they re-visit the Island.
Last updated: 06-02-2005 05:28:53
Last updated: 09-12-2005 02:39:13