Online Encyclopedia Search Tool

Your Online Encyclopedia


Online Encylopedia and Dictionary Research Site

Online Encyclopedia Free Search Online Encyclopedia Search    Online Encyclopedia Browse    welcome to our free dictionary for your research of every kind

Online Encyclopedia

Robert E. Lee

Robert Edward Lee, commanding general of the Confederate forces in the American Civil War
Robert Edward Lee, commanding general of the Confederate forces in the American Civil War

Robert Edward Lee (January 19, 1807October 12, 1870) was a commanding general of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War. Like Hannibal and Rommel, his victories against superior forces in a losing cause made him as famous if not more famous than Ulysses Simpson Grant, the general who defeated him.


Early life and career

Lee was born at Stratford, in Westmoreland County, Virginia, son of Revolutionary War hero Henry Lee ("Lighthorse Harry") and Ann Hill Carter Lee . He entered West Point in 1825. When he graduated (second in his class of 46) in 1829 he had not only attained the top academic record but was the first cadet (and so far the only) to graduate the Academy without a single demerit. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers.

Lee served for seventeen months at Fort Pulaski on Censored page, Georgia. In 1831, he was transferred to Fort Monroe, Virginia, as assistant engineer. While he was stationed there, he married Mary Anna Randolph Custis, the great-granddaughter of Martha Washington. They lived in the Custis mansion, located on the banks of the Potomac River in Arlington, just across from Washington, D.C.. They eventually had three sons and four daughters.


Lee served as an assistant in the chief engineer's office in Washington from 1834 to 1837, but spent the summer of 1835 helping to lay out the state line between Ohio and Michigan. In 1837, he got his first important command. As a first lieutenant of engineers, he supervised the engineering work for St. Louis harbour and for the upper Mississippi and Missouri rivers. His work there earned him a promotion to captain. In 1841, he was transferred to Fort Hamilton in New York harbour, where he took charge of building fortifications.

Mexican War, West Point, and Texas

Lee distinguished himself in the Mexican War 1846-1848. He was one of Winfield Scott's chief aides in the march from Vera Cruz to Mexico City.

He was promoted to Major after the battle of Cerro Gordo in April, 1847. He also fought at Contreras , Cherubusco and Chapultepec, and was wounded at the latter. By the end of the war he had been promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel.

After the Mexican War, he spent three years at Fort Carrol in Baltimore harbor, after which he became the superintendent of West Point in 1852. During his three years at West Point, he improved the buildings, the courses, and spent a lot of time with the cadets.

In 1855, Lee became Lieutenant-Colonel of the Second Cavalry and was sent to the Texas frontier. There he helped protect settlers from attacks by the Apache and the Comanche.

These were not happy years for Lee as he did not like to be away from his family for long periods of time, especially as his wife was becoming increasingly ill. Lee came home to see her as often as he could.

He happened to be in Washington at the time of John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia) in 1859, and was sent there to arrest Brown and to restore order. He did this very quickly and then returned to his regiment in Texas. When Texas seceded from the Union in 1861, Lee was called to Washington, DC to wait for further orders.

Civil War

On April 18, 1861, on the eve of the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln, through Secretary of War Simon Cameron, offered Lee command of the United States Army (Union Army) through an intermediary, a publicist named Francis Blair, at the home of Blair's son in Washington. There was little doubt as to Lee's sentiments. He was opposed to secession. However his loyalty to his native Virginia led him to join the Confederacy. At the outbreak of war he was appointed to command all of Virginia's forces, and then as one of the first five full generals of Confederate forces. After commanding Confederate forces in western Virginia, and then in charge of coastal defenses along the Carolina seaboards, he became military adviser to Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, whom he knew from West Point.

Commander, Army of Northern Virginia

Following the wounding of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston at the battle of Seven Pines , on June 1, 1862, he received the command of the Army of Northern Virginia and soon launched a series of attacks, the Seven Days Campaign against General George B. McClellan's Union forces threatening Richmond, Virginia, the Confederate capital. After McClellan's retreat, Lee defeated another Union army in the battle of Second Manassas. He then invaded Maryland, but retreated after evading destruction by McClellan's superior force at Antietam.

Lee mounted on Traveler, his famous "war horse".
Lee mounted on Traveler, his famous "war horse".

Disappointed by McClellan's failure to destroy Lee's army, Lincoln named Ambrose Burnside as commander of the Army of the Potomac. Burnside ordered an attack across the Rappahannock river at Fredericksburg. Delays in getting bridges built across the river allowed Lee's army ample time to organize strong defenses, and the attack on December 12, 1862 was a disaster for the Union. Lincoln then named Joseph Hooker commander of the Army of the Potomac. Hooker's advance to attack Lee in May 1863 near Chancellorsville, Virginia was defeated by Lee and Stonewall Jackson's daring plan to divide the army and attack Hooker's flank. It was an enormous victory over a larger force, but came at a great cost as Jackson was wounded and died later from the infection of it.

Lee then proceeded to invade the North again, hoping for a Southern victory that would compel the North to grant Confederate independence. But his attempts to attack the Union forces at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania failed. Lee was compelled to retreat again and, as after Antietam, was not vigorously pursued. Following his defeat at Gettysburg, Lee sent a letter of resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis on August 8, 1863 but Davis refused Lee's request upon receipt.

In 1864, the new Union supreme commander Ulysses Grant sought to destroy Lee's army and capture Richmond. Lee and his men stopped each advance, but Grant had courage and enough men to keep trying again a bit further to the east. These battles included the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Courthouse, and Cold Harbor. After stopping a Union attempt to capture Petersburg, Virginia, a vital railroad link supplying Richmond, Lee's men built elaborate trenches and stayed on the same lines from June 1864 until April 1865.


Lee with son Custis (left) and Walter Taylor (right).
Lee with son Custis (left) and Walter Taylor (right).

On January 31, 1865, Lee was promoted to be general-in-chief of Confederate forces. In early 1865, he urged adoption of a scheme to allow slaves to join the Confederate army in exchange for their freedom. The scheme never came to fruition in the short time the Confederacy had left.

As the Confederate army was worn down by months of battle, a Union attempt to capture Petersburg on April 2, 1865 succeeded. Lee abandoned the defense of Richmond and sought to join General Joseph Johnston's army in North Carolina. His forces were surrounded by the Union army and he surrendered to General Grant on April 9, 1865, at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia.

After the War

Lee after the Civil War.
Lee after the Civil War.

Following the war, Lee applied for, but was never granted, the official postwar amnesty. He and his wife had lived at his wife's family home prior to the Civil War, the Custis-Lee Mansion. It was confiscated by Union forces, and is today part of Arlington National Cemetery. Lee's example of applying for amnesty was an encouragement to many other former Confederates to accept being citizens of the United States once again.

He served as president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee University) in Lexington, Virginia from October 2, 1865. Under his leadership, Washington College became one of the first American colleges to offer courses in business, journalism and Spanish.

Final illness and death

On the evening of September 28, 1870, Lee walked home from a church meeting from Grace Church in Lexington. He was late for dinner and had kept his family waiting. Without saying a word, he went directly to the head of the dinner table preparing to say grace. Strangely, Lee was unable to speak, although he tried. He sat down but still could not answer questions from his family on what was wrong. The most he could do was mumble incoherent sounds. His face had an odd passive and resigned look, and his eyes showed no expression, making him seem oblivious to all around him. When his medical doctors were called, the most they could do was help put him to bed and hope for the best.

Although not diagnosed by his doctors, it is almost certain that Lee suffered a stroke. In his last few years, he had complained about chest pain (probably angina pectoris) and often complained about pain in his right arm, which he said often felt numb. Likely he was developing arteriosclerosis or a type of cardiovascular disorder, and it would gradually weaken him the rest of his life. Medical wisdom had no knowledge of this, and simply diagnosed it as rheumatism (a general term then, often used to describe some circulatory problem). In his last year of his life, an aged and weak Lee confided to friends that he felt like he could die any moment. The stroke damaged the frontal lobes of the brain which made speech impossible, and causing abulia, a condition which impaired any thought process (which also explained his facial expression). Lee was also not able to cough or expectorate, and this would prove a fatal problem. In the coming days his family and friends, with doctors' approval, force-fed him food and liquids to build up his strength. Unfortunately, some of these liquids found their way into his lungs, and pneumonia developed. With no ability to cough, Lee died from the effects of pneumonia (not from the stroke itself), inadvertently caused by his well-meaning family and doctors. He died two weeks after the stroke on the morning of October 12, 1870 in Lexington, Virginia, and was buried underneath the chapel at Washington and Lee University.

A reported story that has even found its way into Bartlett's Familiar Quotations had Lee uttering his last words on September 28, shortly after his stroke. He reputedly said "Tell Hill he must come up. Strike the Tent." (The first sentence very often omitted when cited as his last words.) It is doubtful that Lee said this or anything else after his stroke. Officially, his last recorded words were spoken the same day at the church meeting, in which he said "I will give that sum", in response to offers to raise money for the church. Lee had agreed to contribute $55.

In 1975, Lee's full USA citizenship was restored posthumously by an act of the U.S. Congress, following the discovery of his oath of allegiance by an employee of the National Archives in 1970.

External links

  • Robert E. Lee, the biography by Douglas Freeman
    (4 vols., complete)
  • Robert E. Lee Historical Preservation Site
  • Lee Chapel Chapel where Robert E. Lee is buried.

Wikiquote has a collection of quotations by or about Robert E. Lee

Last updated: 02-02-2005 23:10:25
Last updated: 02-27-2005 05:00:19