October 6 is the 279th day of the year (280th in Leap years). There are 86 days remaining.
- 105 BCE - Battle of Arausio : The Cimbri inflict a major defeat on the Roman army of Mallius Maximus
- 891 - Formosus becomes Pope
- 1600 - Jacopo Peri's Euridice, the earliest surviving opera, premieres in Florence
- 1884 - The Naval War College of the United States Navy was founded in Newport, Rhode Island.
- 1889 - Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture.
- 1908 - Austria annexes Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- 1921 - International PEN is founded in London.
- 1927 - Opening of The Jazz Singer, the first prominent talking movie
- 1928 - Chiang Kai-Shek becomes Chairman of the Republic of China
- 1955 - A United Airlines DC-4 crashes in Medicine Bow Peak, Wyoming, killing 66 people
- 1966 - LSD is declared illegal in the United States
- 1973 - The Yom Kippur War begins
- 1976 - Cubana CUT-1201 crashes due to sabotage, after taking off from Bridgetown, Barbados
- 1976 - New Premier Hua Guofeng orders the arrest of the Gang of Four and their associates, putting an end to the Cultural Revolution in the People's Republic of China.
- 1981 - Anwar al-Sadat is assassinated
- 1995 - 51 Pegasi, in the constellation of Pegasus, 47.9 light-years away from Earth, was discovered to be the first major star apart from the Sun to have a planet (and extrasolar planet) orbiting around it.
- 1998 - Censored page: Near Laramie, Wyoming, University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard is viciously attacked by two assailants for being Censored page (he died on October 12).
- 1459 - Martin Behaim, navigator, geographer (d. c. 1507)
- 1510 - Rowland Taylor, pastor, martyr (d. 1555)
- 1773 - King Louis-Philippe of France (d. 1850)
- 1820 - Jenny Lind, singer (d. 1887)
- 1831 - Richard Dedekind, German mathematician (d. 1916)
- 1846 - George Westinghouse, American engineer, inventor (d. 1914)
- 1868 - George Horace Lorimer , editor of the Saturday Evening Post (d. 1937)
- 1882 - Karol Szymanowski, composer (d. 1937)
- 1886 - Edwin Fischer, pianist and conductor (d. 1960)
- 1887 - Le Corbusier, Swiss architect (d. 1965)
- 1905 - Helen Wills Moody, American tennis player (d. 1998)
- 1906 - Censored page, American actress (d. 1984)
- 1908 - Carole Lombard, American actress (d. 1942)
- 1910 - Barbara Castle, Baroness Castle of Blackburn, British Labour politician (d. 2002)
- 1914 - Thor Heyerdahl, Norwegian explorer, leader of the Kon-Tiki expedition (d. 2002)
- 1917 - Fannie Lou Hamer, American civil rights activist
- 1930 - Hafez al-Assad, President of Syria (d. 2000)
- 1930 - Richie Benaud, Australian cricket player
- 1935 - Bruno Sammartino, "The Italian Strongman"
- 1946 - Lloyd Doggett, American politician
- 1948 - Gerry Adams, Irish politician
- 1950 - David Brin, science fiction author
- 1951 - Manfred Winkelhock, German auto racing driver (d. 1985)
- 1969 - Troy Shaw, English snooker player
- 1993 - Demi Garcia , young Tejano singer
Prior to 1800
- 1873 - Sir Paweł Edmund Strzelecki, Polish explorer and geologist (b. 1797)
- 1892 - Alfred Lord Tennyson, British poet laureate
- 1962 - Tod Browning, American film director
- 1981 - Anwar Sadat, Egyptian president (assassinated)
- 1983 - Terence Cardinal Cooke, tenth bishop (seventh archbishop) of the Roman Catholic diocese of New York (b. 1921)
- 1985 - Murder of PC Keith Blakelock in the Broadwater Farm Riot, London
- 1985 - Nelson Riddle, bandleader (b. 1921)
- 1988 - Larry Walters, who used 45 helium balloons and a lawnchair to propel himself to 16,000 feet in 1982
- 1989 - Bette Davis, American actress
- 1992 - Denholm Elliott, actor
- 1993 - Agnes de Mille, dancer, choreographer
- 2002 - Claus von Amsberg, husband of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
- 2003 - Mildred O'Neill, widow of former Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Tip O'Neill
Holidays and observances
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
Last updated: 02-03-2005 00:43:46
Last updated: 02-20-2005 07:20:02