The National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG) (Irish: Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh) can trace its existence to 1845 as Queen's College, Galway and was known until recently as University College, Galway (UCG) and is located in Galway, Ireland.
|The Clock Tower of the Quadrangle
The college opened for teaching in 1849 as Queen's College, Galway, the Irish Universities Act, 1908 made this college a constituent college of the new National University of Ireland, and under a new charter the name of the college was changed to University College, Galway. The university college was given special statutory responsibility under the University College, Galway Act, 1929 in respect of the use of the Irish language as the working language of the college. The university college retained the name University College, Galway until 1997 when the Universities Act, 1997 changed the name to National University of Ireland, Galway and made the college a constituent university of the National University of Ireland.
The university is located near the centre of the city and stretches along the River Corrib. The oldest part of the university, the Quadrangle, is a replica of a building at University of Oxford. The stone from which it is built was supplied locally. Newer parts of the university sprang up in the 1970s and were designed by architects Scott, Tallon, Walker. The 1990s also saw considerable development including the conversion of an old factory into a student centre and sports hall.
As with the other constituent universities of the National University of Ireland the university follows the common facilty structure, the seven faculties of the university are: Arts, Celtic Studies, Commerce, Engineering, Law, Medicine & Health Sciences and Science.
The Sunday Times University Guide named the university as Irish University of the Year 2002 - 2003 .
Last updated: 06-02-2005 12:06:02