List of protosciences
This is a list of protosciences. It includes any new area of scientific endeavor in the process of becoming established. It can include speculative sciences. This list includes science fields and science theories presented in accordance with known evidence, and a body of associated predictions have been made according to that theory, but the predictions have not yet been tested.
Some protosciences go on to become an widely accepted part of science, such as plate tectonics which eventually became an accepted scientific model. Other protoscientific theories end up being disproven. If their followers refuse to accept the falsification of their theories, protoscience can then become regarded as pseudoscience. The falsification of the original theory sometimes leads to reformulation of the theory.
Note: idiosyncratic theories, or theories with an extremely small base of followers or peculiar to an individual, are not encyclopedic and should not be included. Pure pseudoscience should not be included either.
A to H
- Astrobiology is a speculative field within biology which considers the possibility of, and possible nature of, extraterrestrial life. Also called Exobiology and Xenobiology.
- Biological Electronic Aesthetic Mechanics is a type of analog robotics that uses simple analog circuits instead of a microprocessor.
- Brane cosmology founded in basic geometrical notions, has matter localized on the brane.
- Cryonics is the practice of preserving organisms, or at least their brains, for possible future revival by storing them at cryogenic temperatures where metabolism and decay almost completely stop.
- Evolutionary psychology proposed that human cognition and behavior could be better understood by examining them in light of human evolutionary history.
- Exobiology is a speculative field within biology which considers the possibility of, and possible nature of, extraterrestrial life. Also called Astrobiology and Xenobiology.
- Grand Unified Theory is a theory in physics that unifies the strong interaction and electroweak interaction.
I to P
- Memetics is the supposed theory that self-replicating units of idea called memes control our thought
- Parapsychology is the branch of science concerned with the study of mental phenomena, whether actual or purported, that are not currently explainable within the framework of conventional science.
- Plasma cosmology is a non-standard cosmological view which relies on the electromagnetic effects of plasma for explaining the large-scale structure of the universe, energy storage, and energy flow between separate areas of the universe, among other things
Q to Z
- Quantum gravity is the field of theoretical physics attempting to unify the subjects of Quantum mechanics and General relativity.
- String theory is a physical model whose fundamental building blocks are extended objects (strings, membranes and higher-dimensional objects) rather than points.
- Xenobiology is a speculative field within biology which considers the possibility of, and possible nature of, extraterrestrial life. Also called Astrobiology and Exobiology.
Compare with: List of alternative, speculative and disputed theories