(Redirected from Linnean Society
The Linnean Society of London is the world's premier society for the study and dissemination of taxonomy. It publishes a Zoological Journal, as well as Botanical and Biological Journals. It also issues The Linnean, a review of the history of the society and of taxonomy in general.
The Linnean Society was founded in 1788, taking its name from the Swedish naturalist Carolus Linnaeus. The Society is based at Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. Membership is open to anyone who is interested in the Society's work, with no nomination procedure or academic requirements.
Medals and prizes
The following medals and prizes are awarded by the Linnean Society:
- Linnean Medal , established 1888, awarded annually to alternately a botanist or a zoologist or (as has been common since 1958) to one of each in the same year.
- H. H. Bloomer Award , established 1963 from a legacy by the amateur naturalist Harry Howard Bloomer , awarded "an amateur naturalist who has made an important contribution to biological knowledge".
- Bicentenary Award , established 1978, on the 200th anniversary of the death of Linnaeus, "in recognition of work done by a person under the age of 40 years".
- Jill Smythies Award , established 1986, awarded for botanical illustrations.
- Irene Manton Prize , established 1990, for the best dissertation in botany during an academic year.
Linnaeus' botanical and zoological collections were purchased in 1783 by Sir James Edward Smith, the first President of the society, and are now held in London by the society. The collections include 14,000 plants, 158 fish, 1,564 shells, 3,198 insects, 1,600 books and 3,000 letters and documents. They may be viewed by appointment.
Sir JE Smith's own plant collection is also held by the Society. It has been databased by the Smith Herbarium Project at the National Museums Liverpool. 6,000 specimens have been cleaned and repaired.
- Linnean Society of London http://www.linnean.org/
- Medals and prizes of the Linnean Society http://www.linnean.org/contents/join/join_us_medals_prizes.html
Last updated: 05-02-2005 17:27:01
Last updated: 05-03-2005 17:50:55