Klosterneuburg is a city in Lower Austria with a population of 24,442.
It is located on the Danube, immediately north of Vienna, from which it is separated by the Kahlenberg and the Leopoldsberg . It has been separated by its twin city of Korneuburg on the other side of the Danube since the river changed its course during the middle ages.
Klosterneuburg was founded by Margrave Leopold III and developed in conjunction with its famous monastery. Leopold III and later Leopold VI (the latter only during part of his reign) had their residences there. From 1938 to 1954, it constituted the 26th district of Vienna. Today, it is a site of industry and a suburb of Vienna. The well-known Essl Collection of contemporary art is also on display in the town.
The Klosterneuburg Monestary , the existence of which was first documented in 1108 and soon after was given to the Augustians , is of particular historical importance.
The 1911 Britannica Version
KLOSTERNEUBURG, a town of Austria, in Lower Austria, 51/2 m. N.W. of Vienna by rail. Pop. (1900), 11,595. It is situated on the right bank of the Danube, at the foot of the Kahlenberg, and is divided by a small stream into an upper and a lower town. As an important pioneer station Klosterneuburg has various military buildings and stores, and among the schools it possesses an academy of wine and fruit cultivation.
On a hill rising directly from the banks of the Danube stand the magnificent buildings (erected 1730-1834) of the Augustine canonry, founded in 1,06 by Margrave Leopold the Holy. This foundation is the oldest and richest of the kind in Austria; it owns much of the land upon which the north-western suburbs of Vienna stand. Among the points of interest within it are the old chapel of 1318, with Leopolds tomb and the altar of Verdun, dating from the 12th century, the treasury and relic-chamber, the library with 30,000 volumes and many MSS., the picture gallery, the collection of coins, the theological hall, and the winecellar, containing an immense tun like that at Heidelberg. The inhabitants of Klosterneuburg are mainly occupied in making wine, of excellent quality. There is a large cement factory outside the town. In Romantimes the castle of Citium stood in the region of Klosterneuburg. The town was founded by Charle-. magne, and received its charter as a town in 1298.
Last updated: 05-07-2005 10:39:12
Last updated: 05-13-2005 07:56:04