January 27 is the 27th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 338 days remaining (339 in leap years).
upto 19th century
- 1606 - Gunpowder Plot: The trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators begin and later ends in their execution on January 31.
- 1785 - The University of Georgia is founded.
- 1870 - First college sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, is formed at DePauw University.
- 1880 - Thomas Edison files a patent for his electric incandescent lamp.
- 1888 - In Washington, DC the National Geographic Society is founded.
- 1900 - Boxer Rebellion: Foreign diplomats in Peking, China demand that the Boxer rebels be disciplined.
- 1915 - United States Marines occupy Haiti.
- 1926 - John Logie Baird demonstrates the first television broadcast.
- 1943 - World War II: 50 bombers mount the first all American air raid against Germany (Wilhelmshaven was the target).
- 1944 - World War II: The two year Siege of Leningrad is lifted.
- 1945 - World War II: The Red Army arrives at Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland and find the Nazi concentration camp where 1.1-1.5 million people were murdered.
- 1951 - Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site begins with a one-kiloton bomb dropped on Frenchman Flats.
- 1967 - Astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee are killed in a fire during a test of the Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center.
- 1967 - More than 60 nations sign the Outer Space Treaty banning nuclear weapons in space.
- 1973 - Paris Peace Accords officially end the Vietnam War.
- 1978 - Lt Marilyn R. Koon, 161st Aerial Refueling Squadron, Arizona Air National Guard, becomes first female Air National Guard Pilot.
- 1984 - Carl Lewis beats his own indoor world jumping record by 9-1/4 inches with a 28 feet, 10-1/4 inches jump.
- 1991 - Muhammad Siyad Barre flees his compound in Mogadishu.
- 1991 - Super Bowl XXV: The New York Giants defeat the Buffalo Bills, 20-19.
- 1992 - Mike Tyson goes on trial charged with raping a 1991 Miss Black America contestant.
- 1996 - Colonel Ibrahim Bare Mainassara deposes the first democratically elected president of Niger, Mahamane Ousmane, in a military coup.
- 1997 - It is revealed that French museums had nearly 2,000 pieces of art that were stolen by Nazis.
- 1998 - American First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton appears on the Today Show calling the attacks against her husband part of a "vast right-wing conspiracy."
- 2001 - A chartered Beechcraft King Air 200 crashes after takeoff from Boulder, Colorado killing 10.
- 2002 - Several explosions at a military dump in Lagos, Nigeria kill more than 1,000.
up to 19th century
- 1585 - Hendrick Avercamp, Dutch painter (d. 1634)
- 1662 - Richard Bentley, English Classical scholar
- 1720 - Samuel Foote, dramatist and actor (d. 1777)
- 1741 - Hester Thrale, diarist (d. 1821)
- 1756 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, composer (d. 1791)
- 1805 - Samuel Palmer, English artist (d. 1881)
- 1806 - Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga, composer
- 1814 - Eugčne Viollet-le-Duc, architect (d. 1879)
- 1832 - Lewis Carroll, author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (d. 1898)
- 1836 - Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, writer (d. 1895)
- 1850 - Samuel Gompers, labor union leader (d. 1924)
- 1859 - Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, last German Emperor and Prussian king (d. 1941)
- 1885 - Eduard Künnecke, composer (d. 1953)
- 1885 - Jerome Kern, composer (d. 1945)
- 1885 - Harry Ruby, musician, composer, writer (d. 1974)
- 1900 - Admiral Hyman Rickover, American admiral, proponent of the "nuclear Navy" (d. 1986)
- 1901 - Willy Fritsch , actor (d. 1973)
- 1903 - John Carew Eccles, neuropsychologist, winner of Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1963 (d. 1997)
- 1908 - Oran "Hot Lips" Page, jazz trumpet (d. 1954)
- 1918 - Skitch Henderson, musician, band leader
- 1919 - Ross Bagdasarian, musician, actor (d. 1972)
- 1920 - Frankie Albert , American football star (d. 2002)
- 1920 - Helmut Zacharias, German violinist (d. 2002)
- 1921 - Donna Reed, actress (d. 1986)
- 1924 - Sabu , actor (d. 1963)
- 1926 - Fritz Spiegl, journalist (d. 2003)
- 1931 - Mordecai Richler, author (d. 2001)
- 1936 - Troy Donahue , actor (d. 2001)
- 1937 - John Ogdon, English pianist (d. 1989)
- 1945 - Nick Mason, musician of Pink Floyd
- 1946 - Nedra Talley, singer, member of the Ronettes
- 1948 - Mikhail Baryshnikov, dancer
- 1956 - Mimi Rogers, actress
- 1957 - Janick Gers, musician (Iron Maiden)
- 1959 - Keith Olbermann, news correspondent, sportscaster
- 1964 - Bridget Fonda, actress
- 1965 - Alan Cumming, actor
- 1968 - Mike Patton, lead singer of several bands in USA
- 1971 - Fann Wong, Chinese actress, singer, model (Shanghai Knights)
- 1974 - Chaminda Vaas, cricketer, Sri Lanka
- 1987 - Ashley Perez Moza, Mexican singer (Ha*Ash)
- 98 - Nerva, Roman Emperor (b. 35)
- 1490 - Ashikaga Yoshimasa, Ashikaga shogun (b. 1435)
- 1851 - John James Audubon, naturalist, ornithologist, painter (b. 1785)
- 1860 - János Bolyai, the greatest Hungarian matematician
- 1880 - Edward Middleton Barry, architect (b. 1830)
- 1901 - Giuseppe Verdi, composer (b. 1813)
- 1910 - Thomas Crapper, inventor (b. 1836)
- 1940 - Isaac Babel, writer (b. 1894)
- 1956 - Erich Kleiber, German conductor (b. 1890)
- 1967 - Edward White (b. 1930), Virgil "Gus" Grissom (b. 1926), and Roger Chaffee (b. 1935), in capsule AS-204, which was later designated Apollo 1
- 1975 - Bill Walsh, producer, writer (b. 1913)
- 1986 - Lilli Palmer , actress
- 1992 - Allan Jones, actor, singer (b. 1908)
- 1993 - André the Giant, wrestler, actor (b. 1946)
- 1994 - Claude Akins , actor
- 1996 - Ralph Yarborough, U.S. Senator and Texas politician (b. 1903)
- 2004 - Jack Paar, television show host (b. 1918)
Holidays and observances
- Catholicism - Catholic Schools Week
- Winter-een-mas - Third day: Ethan advertises Winter-een-mas to the masses, calling on the Ghosts of Winter-een-mas to curse the thumbs of those who do not participate. Celebrated Ghosts: action/adventure, first-person shooter.
January 26 - January 28 - December 27 - February 27 -- listing of all days
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
Last updated: 02-07-2005 08:52:26
Last updated: 02-18-2005 14:05:20