Gemology (gemmology outside the United States) is the science, art and profession of identifying and evaluating gemstones. It may be considered a branch of mineralogy. Some jewelers are gemologists and as such are qualified to identify and appraise gems. There are professional schools and associations of gemologists and certification programs.
Some gemologists specialize in diamonds or pearls, especially difficult areas. The demand for gemology service has grown as more and more synthetic gems such as cubic zirconia and fracture filled diamonds come on the market.
- The Gemmological Association and Gem Testing Laboratory of Great Britain
- The Gemological Institute of America
- The Canadian Gemmological Association
- Your Gemologist: Free gemological information for students
- Asia-Gems: Gemological and gem grading information