(Redirected from Fifteenth century
(14th century - 15th century - 16th century - other centuries)
As a means of recording the passage of time, the 15th century was that century which lasted from 1401 to 1500.
Renaissance affects philosophy, science and art.
- The New Monarchs come to power in France, England, Portugal and Spain.
- Rise of Modern English language from Middle English.
Lollardy is suppressed in England; John Badby is the first person burnt at the stake for heresy in England.
Great Schism of the Catholic Church is ended in 1417.
- Foundation and rise of the Aztec empire in Mexico.
Jeanne d'Arc in 1429 leads French forces to a victory against England in a battle of the Hundred Years' War.
- The duchy of Burgundy is a major power in Europe.
Brazil is discovered by Pedro Álvares Cabral, thus creating the United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil.
Constantinople falls to the Ottoman Empire (in 1453), and the Empire conquers several more countries in the Balkans.
John Huss is burned at the stake
- The Spanish Inquisition is established.
- Muslims and Jews are expelled from southern Spain after almost 800 years of Muslim rule, in 1492.
- The Ancient Pueblo Peoples Native American civilization mysteriously disappears.
Christopher Columbus reaches Caribbean islands in 1492 and South America in 1498, initiating the Spanish Empire.
- Portuguese Vasco da Gama completes sea voyage to India, in 1498.
Zheng He's fleet sails from China to South-East Asia, India, East Africa and Egypt.
- The Sultanate of Malacca is established. Through its trade and empire, Malays are converted to Islam.
- The Wolof establish the Jolof Empire.
Inventions, discoveries, introductions
Decades and years
Last updated: 05-07-2005 14:33:37
Last updated: 05-13-2005 07:56:04