Evelina Children's Hospital is a specialist NHS hospital in London. It is administratively a part of Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and provides teaching hospital facilities for King's College London. Currently housed at Guy's Hospital, it is due to move to a new building alongside St Thomas' Hospital in January 2005.
The hospital was founded in 1869 (as Evelina Hospital for Sick Children) by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, whose wife, Evelina, and child had died in premature labour. It was established in a purpose-built hospital in Southwark, and nationalised in 1948, becoming a branch of Guy's Hospital. In 1976 the original hospital building was closed and the children's wards moved to the newly built Guy's Tower.
In 1999 a decision was taken to re-establish Evelina Children's Hospital as a new specialist hospital for all children's services at Guy’s & St Thomas', on the site of a former nurses' home. An architectural competition was held under the auspices of the Royal Institute of British Architects and was won by Sir Michael Hopkins. Construction began in 2002, and the building was completed in 2004.
Although a part of the NHS, the £60 million building cost of the new Evelina Children's Hospital was largely paid for with private funds, with £50 million coming from the independent Guy's & St Thomas' Charitable Foundation (the successor to the endowments of Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild, amongst others), and £10 million from NHS budgets and a major fund raising campaign.
Last updated: 05-14-2005 22:10:54