Cabinda is an Angolan province and exclave, separated from the rest of the country by the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which bounds the province on the south and the east. Cabinda is bounded on the north by the Republic of the Congo, and on the west by the Atlantic Ocean. As of 1991, the population was 163,000, with an area of 7,270 km2.
Portuguese explorers, missionaries and traders arrived at the mouth of the Congo (or Nzere) river in the mid-15th century, making contact with the powerful King of the Congo (Manikongo). The Manikongo controlled much of the region through affiliation with smaller kingdoms, such as the Kingdoms of Ngoyo , Loango and Cacongo in present-day Cabinda.
Over the years, the Portuguese, Dutch and English established trading posts, logging camps and small palm oil processing factories in Cabinda. Trade continued and the European presence grew, resulting in conflicts between the rival colonial powers.
The province was once physically attached to the rest of Angola, but in 1885, the Conference of Berlin extended the Congo Free State's territory along the Congo River to the river's mouth at the sea, and Cabinda was isolated.
There is a liberation movement , the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC), which has been sporadically active since Angola's independence in 1975.