3200 BC-AD 1899
- 3114 BC - beginning of our current era in the Maya Long Count Calendar
- 480 BC - Persians under Xerxes defeat Spartans under King Leonidas in the Battle of Thermopylae. The Spartans fought to the last man.
- 480 BC - The Persian and Greek fleets also fight the indecisive Battle of Artemisium.
- AD 1858 - First ascent of the Eiger.
- 1918 - Great War - Battle of Amiens ends
- 1919 - Constitution of Weimar Republic adopted
- 1934 - Federal prison opened at Alcatraz Island
- 1943 - World War II - First Quebec Conference of Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, T. V. Soong and William Lyon Mackenzie King begins.
- 1948 - Olympic games open in London
- 1951 - René Pleven becomes Prime Minister of France
- 1952 - Hussein proclaimed king of Jordan
- 1960 - Chad declares independence
- 1965 - Race riots begin in Watts area of Los Angeles, California
- 1966 - John Lennon held a press conference in Chicago excusing himself from the "Jesus affair"
- 1970 - A trademark application by the Van Brode Milling Company for the word Spork was published by the USPTO.
- 1972 - Last United States ground combat unit departs South Vietnam
- 1999 - A total solar eclipse visible from Europe and Asia.
- 2003 - NATO takes over command of the peacekeeping force in Afghanistan, marking its first major operation outside Europe in its 54-year-history.
- 2003 - Jemaah Islamiyah leader Riduan Isamuddin, better known as Hambali, is arrested in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1718 - Sir Frederick Haldimand - professional soldier
- 1794 - James Barton Longacre - engraver and designer of United States Indian Head cent
- 1807 - David Rice Atchison, American politician (d. 1886)
- 1833 - Robert G. Ingersoll, American political leader and orator, atheist, American Civil War Colonel (d. 1899)
- 1833 - Kido Takayoshi, Japanese politician, one of the main actors of the Meiji restoration (d. 1877)
- 1872 - Shidehara Kijuro, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1951)
- 1892 - Yoshikawa Eiji, novelist (d. 1962)
- 1897 - Louise Bogan, American poet (d. 1970)
- 1902 - Alfredo Binda, Italian cyclist (d. 1986)
- 1902 - Lloyd Nolan , actor (d. 1982)
- 1905 - Erwin Chargaff, biochemist (d. 2002)
- 1912 - Eva Ahnert-Rohlfs, astronomer (d. 1954)
- 1913 - Angus Wilson, British novelist (d. 1991)
- 1921 - Alex Haley, historian, novelist (d. 1992)
- 1925 - Carl Rowan , journalist
- 1932 - Fernando Arrabal, playwright, novelist
- 1933 - Jerry Falwell, Christian preacher and politician
- 1943 - Abigail Folger, Coffee heiress (d. 1969)
- 1943 - Pervez Musharraf, Pakistani general and leader
- 1944 - Ian McDiarmid, actor
- 1946 - Marilyn vos Savant, newspaper columnist
- 1950 - Gennidy Nikonov, designer of the AN-94 assault rifle
- 1950 - Steve Wozniak, personal computer pioneer
- 1953 - Hulk Hogan (Terry Gene Bollea), professional wrestler
- 1954 - Joe Jackson, singer
- 1954 - Juan Maria Solare, music composer and pianist
- 1955 - Sylvia Hermon, UK politician
- 1967 - Joe Rogan, comedian, television host
- 1972 - Jonathon Prandi, American male model
- 1974 - Audrey Mestre, freediver
- 1980 - Lee Suggs, American football player
500 BC-AD 1899
- 1919 - Andrew Carnegie, industrialist
- 1937 - Edith Wharton, author
- 1953 - Tazio Nuvolari, racecar driver
- 1956 - Jackson Pollock, artist
- 1959 - Mario Lanza, American tenor (b. 1921)
- 1977 - Frederick Williams , inventor of the mercury tube
- 1984 - Alfred A. Knopf, American publisher
- 1996 - Rafael Kubelik, conductor and composer (b. 1914)
- 2003 - Kieran Kelly, Irish jump jockey after a racing accident
- 2003 - Diana Mitford, widow of British Fascist leader Oswald Mosley
- 2003 - Herb Brooks, coach of 1980 "Miracle on Ice" US Hockey team
Holidays and observances
|January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December|
Last updated: 02-05-2005 01:07:12
Last updated: 02-11-2005 17:47:38