See Ansbach, Austria for the Austrian town of the same name.
|Coat of arms||Map|
|Location:||49.3/49°18' N lat.
10.583/10°35' W long.
|Address of the city administration:||1 Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Platz
Ansbach is a town in Bavaria, Germany. It is the capital of the administrative region of Middle Franconia. Ansbach is situated south west of Nuremberg at the Frankish-Rezat, an arm of the Main river. Population: 39,800 (1999).
The city has five schools. It is connected by autobahn A6 autobahn and routes 13 and 16 .
A Benedictine monastery at the place was founded around 748 by a Franconian noble, Gumbertus , who was later canonized. In the following centuries the monastery and the adjoining village grew to become the town of Ansbach (called a town in 1221 for the first time).
In 1331 the Hohenzollern Burggraves from Nürnberg took possession of Ansbach, which they ruled until 1806, with Ansbach as their seat. When the Hohenzollerns were elevated to become electors of Brandenburg, the Ansbach state was not united with Brandenburg and remained independent, as '"Brandenburg-Ansbach". A full list of the Hohenzollern rulers of Ansbach can be found at Hohenzollern.
Since 1970, Ansbach has enlarged its municipal area by incorporating adjacent communities.
Anspach was a small town largely by-passed by the Industrial Revolution, an administrative and cultural center. The historical center of Ansbach was spared during World War II and it has kept its baroque character.
Ansbach hosts several units of the U.S. armed forces, associated with German units under NATO. There are three separate U.S. installations: Shipton Kaserne, home to 6th Bn., 52nd Air Defense Artillery; Katterbach Kaserne, where the 1st Division's 4th Combat Aviation Brigade resides, associated with Bismarck Kaserne, where the post exchange, etc. are located, and Barton Barracks, home to the 235th BSB.
- Eyb , part of Ansbach since October 1, 1970
- Bernhardswinden , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
- Brodswinden , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
- Claffheim , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
- Elpersdorf bei Ansbach , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
- Hennenbach , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
- Neuses bei Ansbach , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
- Schalkhausen , part of Ansbach since July 1, 1972
Ansbach was home of the astronomer Simon Marius, who observed Jupiter's moons from the castle's tower. Later he claimed to be the discoverer of the moons, which led to a dispute with the true discoverer, Galileo Galilei.
Anspach was the birthplace of the early chemist, Georg Ernst Stahl.
- Castle of the margraves of Brandenburg-Ansbach
- Margrave museum
- Kaspar Hauser Monument
- St. Gumbertus and St. Johannis churches, both 15th century
- Official Website (German, English, French)
- Ansbach information
- 235th Base Support Battalion - Ansbach Military Community