1670 1671 1672 - 1673 - 1674 1675 1676
1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
16th century - 17th century - 18th century
1673 in literature
1673 in science
- The English Test Act was passed. It disallowed Catholics from holding high public office.
- France begins its expedition against Ceylon.
- March 18 - John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton sells his part of New Jersey to the Quakers.
- May 17 - Trader Louis Joliet and Jesuit missionary-explorerJacques Marquette begin exploring the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes.
- Christopher Wren knighted.
- French explorers Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet reach the headwaters of Mississippi River and descend to Arkansas
- The Kabuki actor Sannjuro Ichikawa , aged 13, invents the Aragato style, which features the Superman war-god.
- Jean Lully writes his first opera, Cadmus et Hermione
- The Dutch retake New York
- William of Orange saves Amsterdam and the province of Holland from the French by opening the Sluice gates and flooding the country.
- Mitsui family's trading and banking house is founded in Japan.
- University of Innsbruck founded
- Stalactic grotto of Antiparos (Aegean Sea) discovered.
- Archpriest Petrovich Avvakum writes his "Zhitie" (Life) as the first Russian autobiography.
- February 17 - Molière, french theatre writer, director and actor, master of satire
- March 15 - Salvator Rosa, painter
Last updated: 11-05-2004 12:22:10