1636 1637 1638 - 1639 - 1640 1641 1642
1600s 1610s 1620s - 1630s - 1640s 1650s 1660s
16th century - 17th century - 18th century
1639 in literature
1639 in science
- January 14 - Connecticut's first constitution, the "Fundamental Orders," is adopted.
- March 13 - Harvard University is named for a clergyman named John Harvard.
- November 24 - Jeremiah Horrocks observes the transit of Venus.
- Charles I starts the first of the Bishops Wars against Scotland.
- The Casiquiare canal, a river forming a natural canal between the Amazon River and Orinoco River basins, is first encountered by Europeans.
- The Barbados House of Assembly meets for the first time.
- The first printing press in North America is started in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Russian Cossacks advance over Urals to Pacific, to Okhotsk.
Last updated: 11-05-2004 12:15:50