1555 1556 1557 - 1558 - 1559 1560 1561
1520s 1530s 1540s - 1550s - 1560s 1570s 1580s
15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- January 7 - French troops led by Francis, Duke of Guise take Calais, the last continental possession of England
- July 13 - Battle of Gravelines: In France, Spanish forces led by Count Lamoral of Egmont defeat the French forces of Marshal Paul des Thermes at Gravelines.
- April 24 - Mary I of Scotland marries Francis II of France
- November 17 - Elizabethan era begins: Queen Mary I of England dies and is succeeded by her half-sister Elizabeth.
- Tobacco comes to France
- October 12 - Archduke Maximilian III of Austria
- Robert Greene, English playwright, poet, pamphleteer, and prose writer
- Thomas Kyd, English playwright
- Chidiock Tichborne, English conspirator and poet (executed 1586)
- Giovanni Bassano, Italian composer and cornettist of the Venetian school
- April 18 - Aleksandra Lisowska, wife of Suleiman the Magnificent
- September 21 - Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor
- October 21 - Julius Caesar Scaliger, humanist scholar
- November 17 - Queen Mary I of England.
Last updated: 02-02-2005 05:01:02
Last updated: 02-22-2005 15:48:47