1522 1523 1524 - 1525 - 1526 1527 1528
1490s 1500s 1510s - 1520s - 1530s 1540s 1550s
15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- January 21 - The Swiss Anabaptist Movement was born when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and about a dozen others baptized each other in the home of Manz's mother on Neustadt-Gasse, Zurich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union.
- February 10 - Albert of Prussia committed Prussian Tribut.
- February 24 - Battle of Pavia - Spanish forces under Charles de Lannoy and the Marquis of Pescara defeat the French army and capture Francis I of France.
- March 1, 1524/5 (approx. date) - Giovanni da Verrazano lands near Cape Fear
- May 15 - Battle of Frankenhausen - Defeat of the rebellious peasants of the Holy Roman Empire by the Lords. End of the Peasants' War.
- June 16 - Henry VIII of England creates his illegitimate son Henry Fitzroy Duke of Richmond and Somerset.
- June 27 - Martin Luther marries Katharina von Bora.
- European brought diseases sweep through the Andes, killing thousands including the Inca.
- Mixco Viejo, capital of the Pocomam Maya State, falls to the Spanish Conquistadores of Pedro de Alvarado(in what is now Guatemala).
- Bubonic Plague in Southern France.
- Catherine Howard, later fifth Queen consort of Henry VIII of England.
- Girolamo Cavazzoni , Italian composer of keyboard music (approximate date)
- Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, Italian composer, the most renowned composer of the late Renaissance (approximate date)
- Baldassare Donato, Italian composer of the Venetian school (approximate date)
- Cuauhtémoc, last Aztec Emperor, tortured to death by his Spanish captors
- Inca Huayna Capac, emperor of the Inca, died of what was probably smallpox.
Last updated: 02-04-2005 14:07:21