1495 1496 1497 - 1498 - 1499 1500 1501
1460s 1470s 1480s - 1490s - 1500s 1510s 1520s
14th century - 15th century - 16th century
- Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama visits Quelimane and Moçambique in southeastern Africa.
- May 20 - Vasco da Gama arrives at Calicut (now Kozhikode), India, becoming the first European to get there by sailing around Africa.
- May 23 - Girolamo Savonarola, ruler of Florence, is executed for criticizing the Pope.
- July 31 - On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- Christopher Columbus lands on the South American continent.
- The Portuguese sail up to the coasts of modern Tanzania and Kenya.
- May 23 - Girolamo Savonarola, religious reformer and one time ruler of Florence.
Last updated: 02-04-2005 09:11:46