1492 1493 1494 - 1495 - 1496 1497 1498
1460s 1470s 1480s - 1490s - 1500s 1510s 1520s
14th century - 15th century - 16th century
- February 22 - King Charles VIII of France enters Naples to claim the city's throne. A few months later, he decides to return to France, and leaves Naples with most of his army, leaving a force under his cousin Gilbert, Count of Montpensier as Viceroy.
- May 26 - A Spanish army under Hernandez Gonzalo de Cordoba lands in Calabria with the purpose of ousting the French and restoring Ferrante II to the throne of Naples.
- June 1 - Friar John Cor records the first known batch of Scotch whisky.
- June 28 - Battle of Seminara . Cordoba and Ferrante are defeated by a French army under Bernard Stuart, Seigneur d'Aubigny .
- July 6 - Battle of Fornovo - The French army under King Charles secures its retreat from Italy by defeating a combined Milanese-Venetian force under Giovanni Francesco Gonzaga , Marquis of Mantua.
- Russia invades Sweden through Karelia, but are beaten back at Vyborg.
- Founding of the Reichskammergericht of the Holy Roman Empire.
- Costanzo Festa, Italian composer of madrigals (approximate date)
- Nicolas Gombert, renowned Franco-Flemish composer of complex polyphony (approximate date)
- September 14 - Elizabeth Tudor , the daughter of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York
- October 25 - king John II of Portugal
Last updated: 02-04-2005 08:46:55