1170 1171 1172 - 1173 - 1174 1175 1176
1140s 1150s 1160s - 1170s - 1180s 1190s 1200s
11th century - 12th century - 13th century
- Canonization of Saint Thomas a Becket, buried at Canterbury
- Construction started on the Leaning tower of Pisa in August
- Castle at Abergavenny was seized by the Welsh.
- Conversion to Christianity of Peter Waldo.
- End of Qiandao era and start of Chunxi era of the Chinese ruler Song Xiao Zong
- End of reign of Polish ruler Boleslaus IV of Poland and start of reign of Casimir II of Poland
- Revolt of 1173-1174-- Eleanor of Aquitaine and her sons rebelled against her husband Henry II of England.
- Welsh prince Llywelyn the Great
- Richard of St. Victor
- Belarussian nun Euphrosyne of Polatsk, major contributor to Medieval Belarussian Culture.
- Alice, daughter of Italian count Humbert III of Savoy
Heads of states
- England - Henry II Curt Mantle, King of England (reigned 1154 - 1189).
- France - Louis VII, King of France (reigned 1137 - 1180).
Last updated: 10-24-2004 05:10:45